Friday 16 September 2016

Last Weekend One Of My Kids Shoved A Blueberry Up His Nose

DANGER~!


I didn't believe him at first.

We were at my mums house, and had packed some blueberries in tiny plastic containers - like Tupperware ones, but not actually Tupperware, because I'm not a fancy millionaire.

They were eating these blueberries during a brief respite from the standard grandparent diet of chocolate, biscuits and ice cream. The boy had been walking around and eating, and then suddenly he yelled out, "there's something in my nose!"

Not a blueberry, yet. Just something.

I noticed his container was empty, took that from him, then thinking he just had regular boogers said I'd get a tissue. He normally likes blowing his nose, but he didn't want to this time.

He said it was something else up his nose. Then it was a blueberry up his nose.

Like I said, I was doubtful. He was breathing normally, and didn't seem distressed. I felt around the bottom of his nostrils and they were still squishy with nothing blocking them. Although blueberries are small, I felt his nostrils were even smaller. Surely it couldn't be possible to push one further up?

I was wrong.

After about five minutes of comments about it still being up there, we decided to look properly. I had a look up his nostrils... and couldn't see anything because I wasn't wearing my glasses and dark blue is pretty much black which is what an empty nostril looks like anyway. So then my wife looked and confirmed it. Blueberry, right nostril.
Of course, last weekend was
 only the second blueberry
near-death experience on record.

My initial reaction was outwardly calm but inwardly panicking.

Then my thoughts jumped to, we have to immediately go to emergency for the next six hours. I could see my wife was thinking the same.

I'm pretty sure our thinking then diverted, because my next thought bubble was, he's breathing ok, so maybe I can watch the end of the footy before we go.

Then before I could get to, he's really not bothered, it can wait until the morning, Grandma held out the palm of her hand and told him to blow hard. The blueberry flew out of his nose much like a sneeze, spraying blueberry everywhere.

Crisis over. Although Grandma did wish she'd got a tissue first.

We then had a long conversation about what he might learn from this incident. I've summarised it below:
It sure does.

No comments:

Post a Comment