Sunday 6 October 2019

Stuff My Kids Say, Part 21a

I now have so many children that I’ve broken the latest edition of Stuff My Kids Say into two parts: A and B.
Toddler O

Part A will focus on toddler O, who is three-years-old, which is a fun and funny age.

He's so funny right now that this blog could've had thousands of entries except for two things: firstly, it would be too long to read, perhaps requiring sub-parts [21a(i), 21a(ii), ...], and secondly, I've got haphazard with my recording of moments. There have been so many funny scenes recently where I've thought, I'll write that down later, and then I forget to do it, or I remember to do it but have already forgetton the detail.

But here are nine where I remembered everything!


1.
First, a timely one - it is Grand Final week, and this one fits the theme.

I was watching the footy with his older twin brothers, R and J, who are now very enthusiastic fans of the game Tina Turner once described in song as simply the best!

O heard the Roosters were winning - regrettably, they usually are. This prompted him to yell "COCK-A-DOODLE-DO!", while flapping his arms like a bird.


2.
Later in the game he revealed his favourite animal...

J started the conversation with the declaration, "I'm going for the Roosters," after checking the score to see which team was winning.

"My go for Sharks!", yelled O in reply. He often gets I/My wrong, which is cute at his age, and not yet a speech impediment.

Then he added, "do-do, do-do, do-doo!"

Now before you think I've let a three-year-old watch Jaws, he was referring to the song Baby Shark. Once when I asked him to stop running up and down the hall screaming, he said to me, "but my want to run away, dododododododoo!!"


3.
He's not always right about animals though. Once while watching TV, he suddenly pointed, and excitedly yelled, "BIG SHEEP!". I looked over, and there was a cow in the paddock. Although in fairness, we all know animals don't look the same on the screen...


4.
Earlier I mentioned that J likes to see which team is winning before determining his support. But O might be even more competitive. We were waiting for the pedestrian crossing to go green, and when it did I began pushing his stroller across the road. I hear this little voice saying, "we're winning, we're winning!".

After a few seconds I think I realise what he means.

"Are you saying that because the other people crossing the road are behind us?"

"Yes. We're winning. Now hurry up!", he replied.


5.
If O can't win, he knows to find a scapegoat. Usually me.

"It's dada's fault!" might be his favourite saying. And sometimes it isn't even my fault!

Recently he went next level on this. I accidentally bumped him after he decided to silently stand behind me while I was loading the dishwasher. So O looked up and angrily said "naughty dada!". Then he punched me in the leg.


6.
Other moments of apportioning blame from toddler O...

We have a mat for the baby to lie on the floor. It is a lion rug, which is cute, but also annoying as the hair from the lion mane gets everywhere. I mean a strand of hair, here and there. When mum found a clump ripped out from the mane, and R and J were at school, the perpetrator was obvious.

"Baby L did it!," O said, pointing at his sibling who at that stage did not yet have any control over his limbs.

Another time, R said he didn't want to sit at the table for lunch because O had made a mess on the placemat at breakfast. So it got wiped it off, and it was fine. A few minutes later, O sat down where R had been at breakfast. "Look!", he cried, and pointed at the placemat in front of him. On closer inspection, there was a tiny spot of Weet-Bix crumb.

"Him did it!", he said, pointing at R.


7.
Aside from accusing others of wrongdoing, O's other favourite activity may be eating.

Unfortunately, it's not always easy for him to eat. When he was a baby, R pushed him off a step and broke his two top front teeth. There were lots of tears that day. And that was just mum.

So due to this accident O looks like a cute little vampire, and it is also sometimes difficult for him to chew harder foods.

One day he was eating a very hard, crunchy biscuit. After trying to break it with his partially missing front teeth for a few seconds, he held it out to show us, and declared, "the biscuit is not working," like it was a toy needing a battery replacement.


8.
Of course, you have to eat the right way.

Which might be why O scolded me "elbows off the table!" at dinner one night. As he did this, a fine spray of spit and spaghetti bolognese sauce came from his mouth. I guess some rules of etiquette are more important than others.


9.
In hindsight, I've been wrong about O's favourite thing to do - it's not blaming everyone else, it's not eating, it's this...

O has a fairly accurate in-built alarm that sees him up around 6:45 every morning. His twin brothers R & J do not. So on school days, there will come a point where he asks, "wake up my brothers?".

And they do need to wake up, so I will say yes.

Then I help him up to the top bunk where the twins sleep - not because they don't have their own beds, but because they still prefer to sleep together - and let him yell "WAKE UP!", jump on them, pull their pillows away and generally annoy them until they get out of bed.

After a few times doing this, O started getting creative. He snapped the elastic band on their pajama pants one morning. But the real innovation was when O turned to me, and with a huge grin on his face, asked: "my lick them?"

I laughed and said no. O then licked J in the face anyway. I laughed more.

No comments:

Post a Comment