Saturday 3 March 2018

Stuff My Kids Say, Part Eleven

I have three boys, they say things. Here is a picture of us, I'm the old guy:

AND ALL THE OTHER STUFF MY KIDS SAY IS FOUND HERE.


1.
I was away overnight for work recently. I called in the morning. I could immediately hear R in the background - "hi Dada!", he was shouting excitedly. He came over to the phone and we had a quick chat.

So then my wife calls out to J, "do you want to talk to dad too?"

"No," I hear him call out.


2.
To be honest, J might not have wanted to talk because he doesn't get much practice at it.

A good example occurred a few weeks earlier. We recently switched from disposable wipes to reusable ones. This was extremely fascinating to the twins.

After eating breakfast, I requested J get a wipe. He asked me, "but why do they need water?"

Before I could answer, R responded, "it just does!". Then he turned to me. "Dad, why does it need water?", he asked.


3.
One day I discovered J looking in the freezer. He had decided to have a look at all of the food he probably would refuse to eat at a later date.

Then he saw a frozen container of ravioli. "I want that", he said.

I explained that it was too big - "it's more for a whole family", I said.

Later he asked my wife if he could have 'family pasta' for dinner.


4.
R also has a way with words. Mostly the way of a 19th century Dickensian orphan.

When asked if he wanted a (really, really weak) cup of tea: "oh, that would be lovely, thank you."


Another time, when I gave him some good news, he actually replied "splendid!". I tried to find out where he had heard the word. He said defensively, "I just know, ok?"

Other times he's a bit more contemporary with his language. I recently asked him why he did something. He responded, "that's how I roll."


5.
The boys catch the train two days a week, the return trip to childcare for them and to work for us. Recently baby O and mum were not coming, leaving me with R and J for the commute. Since we had no pram and it wasn't peak hour, I suggested that instead of sitting at an end of the carriage we either go up or down.

This was met with great enthusiasm... until we went down and the only space available was for 2 people on a 3-seat bench. I said they should sit and I would stand in the aisle. J responded loudly, "I don't want to sit next to a person".


6.
R was wearing a police costume and roleplaying.

"You've been bad", he said to me.

"Oh no, what have I done wrong? Do I need to go to gaol?", I asked.

"Just let me get my sword", he replied. Swift brand of justice obviously.


7.
More on swords.

R had his light saber out and wanted me to play Star Wars with him.

I don't even like Captain Kirk. So I suggested he play with O instead. 

"I can't play with him", he complained. "He might get hit too much as he doesn't have the right moves."


8.
J had been on the toilet a long time, so I decided to check and see whether he had fallen in.

"Finished!", he declared as I arrived on the scene.

I checked the unflushed toilet bowl. It was clogged full of toilet paper.

"You don't have to use so much toilet paper?", I suggested.

"But I did a really big poo," he replied.

"Your bum is still the same size," I explained.

"I like doing big poos."


9.
The above conversation might explain O's vocabulary development. The other day he suddenly stopped and looked to be pushing, so my wife asked, "are you doing a poo?"

He nodded his head, yes.

Then he said his new word. "Pooooooooooooooo!"

By my count, it is about his tenth word. After mum, more, bye-bye, ball, hi, cheers, dad, hat, and shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment