Monday 14 January 2019

Remembering that time Nick Kyrgios went full Nick Kyrgios

And you should never go full Nick Kyrgios.
As one of the foremost bloggers of both sports and my own kids in the entire world, I felt obligated to write something tennis related at the start of 2019 Australian Open.

But I just can't even, for the following reason: tennis is mostly boring to watch. I say this as someone who plays often (badly), so don't @ me.

I think tennis needs a strong narrative to be interesting, and the person most likely to provide a narrative every single time they step on the court is Nick Kyrgios.

Kyrgios is easily the most interesting person in tennis, Australian sports right now, and perhaps forever.

He's so interesting that he was the first thing I wrote about way back four years ago (sharing the spotlight with Davey Warner, the 2nd most interesting sports person in Australia).

Then I wrote about him again here, at the bottom of the page. And here again, at the top!

And this was all in 2015, before the anti-Kyrgios bandwagon starting overflowing with people taking an unhealthy interest in bullying a young fella slacking off at his job a little bit.

So instead of an Australian Open article, I thought I should celebrate Nick by bring to your attention the most Kyrgios thing that ever Kyrgiosed. That one time he went FULL NICK KYRGIOS~!

It was the second round of the 2018 Cincinnati Open.

As a warm-up for the madness that would follow, Kyrgios had arrived on court without his tennis shoes for his first round match. "I left my shoes in the locker room, sorry man," he said to his opponent as someone fetched quality footwear for him.

That was probably the only reasonable thing to say in that moment.

And then came round two!

A twitter user called Doug Collins live tweeted some of the amazing scenes. You should absolutely click the link, but a few highlights include:

  • Nick trash talks to himself about how he'd be pretty good if he had "decent health"... and trained... and didn't "eat fast food every day."
  • He complains about his opponents slow serving, including when I'm at a restaurant and I'm hungry, I want the waiter to bring me food right now!
And whereas in Australia he'd quite possibly get chased with pitchforks for this, the Americans love it, because they love athletes to have personality.

The live tweeting doesn't even cover it all - Kyrgios said some other stuff too.

And, oh yeah, he won the match.

No comments:

Post a Comment