Monday 27 January 2020

Not Listening to the Hottest 100

At midday on Saturday I realised, hey isn't the Hottest 100 on now?
J J J
A quick online search confirmed that 25 January was the #changethedate. Then I decided to go ahead and listen to a bunch of music I've never heard before.

Maybe later, I could even come to the conclusion that all new music is shit because as a middle-aged man I don't like what a youth radio station is playing.

Of course, it was different when my parents did that. They were wrong about new music. This time, I'd be right...

So I tried to get the Triple J digital channel to play on the TV.

But we have a Fetch TV set-top box and it wasn't available through it. I attempted to switch back to watching through the TV itself, but that didn't work at all.

By this stage, the twins had wandered over to watch my futile attempts to make this happen.

After some very unhelpful commentary from both, R said, "it's hurting my eyes." He pointed at the black and white static display on the TV screen.
It was obviously ridiculous that his eyes were actually hurting. But perhaps not as ridiculous as my response.

"Oh come on, in my day we had static screens all the time."

I don't know why I decided to attempt to give them in an impression that I grew up surrounded by broken TVs showing nothing but black and white. It was a poorly conceived walking 5 miles uphill to school with no shoes moment.

Not surprisingly, it did not command the awe and respect I'd hoped.

"Dad, don't you know? It's not your day anymore?", said J.

His words were both cruel and profound. I'm 37-years-old and trying to listen to Triple J's Hottest 100. Clearly I didn't realise.

"I do now," I said. I switched off the TV. "It's lunchtime, I'll make you guys a sandwich."

They agreed this was a good idea and headed to their room to play. 

While I made sandwiches, I decided to play a Spotify List more appropriate for my age... Tony Hawk Pro Skater soundtracks 1-2.
The winning song in the Hottest 100 is performed by
 someone born after this game was released.

No comments:

Post a Comment