Sunday 12 January 2020

Stuff My Kids Say, Part 23


10 STORIES OF CHRISTMAS EDITION~!

(Because I wanted it to be like the 12 Days of Christmas but couldn't get that many...)

Actual photo of my house lit up for Christmas.


1.
Let's start with what they wanted for Christmas from Santa.

Six-year-old J decided to write his list in a letter - he is an enthusiastic writer, even if spelling is not his strength...
Dear Sater Clalls, I wolud like for chiemas a Baby Grout toy,
a iPad, a chest and cheker game.
And on the back:
Write your meshisj herar ples.
Santa did write a meshisj, and it said that he hopes J likes his baby Groot and chess board, but mummy and daddy don't want him having his own iPad yet.

Mum and dad also vetoed three-year-old O's request for an iPhone.

Meanwhile the other six-year-old, R, wrote that he wanted another brother. Santa misunderstood this request and thought he wanted another brother to go into his toy pram beside his other dolls and stuffed toys. Thankfully.


2.
For the twins, full attention went onto Christmas after the last day of school.

On the walk home, J told me: "I like Christmas best, then Easter, then Halloween."

"Do you know why?", he asked.

"No," I replied. But I was guessing it wasn't because the story of the birth of Jesus resonated with him.

"Because at Christmas, you get stuff you keep. At the others you only get stuff to eat."

This... actually made a lot of sense.

R backed up this rationale: "at Easter and Halloween I only get stuff I poop!"


3.
School had a lot to answer for this Christmas. The twins learned Aussie Jingle Bells and proceeded to sing it about 7,468,192,694,361,943 times.

If you haven't heard it, I have not linked it. You're welcome.

I would've preferred they stick to the classic, although it later became clear why they didn't, when R asked me: "what is a one whole sopen sleigh anyway?"


4.
R also told his parents you don't need to believe in Santa.

We told him, you do if you want presents from Santa.

That was enough to successfully quash the attempted uprising of truth and honesty in our household. A few days later R informed us that he believes in Santa Claus after all.


5.
J has never questioned his belief.

He is normally the most introverted and quiet of the siblings, but on Christmas morning he was the most excited. "Aren't we lucky, boys?", he said to his brothers as he sized up the presents under the tree.

He then inspected the half chewed carrot left for the reindeer, and the whiskey glass for Santa.

"Santa usually leaves some whiskey in the glass," he noted.

"Maybe Santa was thirsty," I said, perhaps too quickly.

"Normally he doesn't have time to drink the whole thing, there are so many countries to visit these days," J informed me.


6.
Santa, family and friends were all generous. Yet you can't please them all the time...

J sulked on Christmas day because he had one less present than R, even though some of his presents were clearly bigger.

Then after getting home from Grandma's on Boxing Day, where he received another huge haul of presents, R walked into the house, looked at all his other piles of presents from the previous two days, some not even opened yet, and declared: "I'm bored."

He turned to me. "What can I do?"


7.
With all the amazing presents they received, the most popular in the first few days were these:
The older three boys spent hours throwing these at the sliding doors and watching them 'climb' down the glass.


8.
Christmas takes its toll on everyone.

At some point after the kids had gone to bed on December 27, I went to look at the time on my Fitbit. Except I was wearing this instead...
O had attached his dinosaur slapband onto my wrist about six hours earlier. I'd forgotten to take it off.


9.
This isn't strictly Christmas, but it happened around Christmas and also involves a biblical story about the contentious birth of a child, so I'm including it.

We have a rule where one older brother can bathe with baby L at a time. Any more than one in the bath and it gets a bit too hectic for a kid that can barely sit up.

Bathing with L is a highly sought after prize. And on this particular evening, R and J were in a heated argument about who should get in the bath with the baby.

"I know!", I interrupted. "Why don't we cut L in half, and you can share him and each bathe with him?"

They paused to think about this proposition.

R was the first to speak. "Good idea", he said happily.

"Thanks Dad", added J.

I don't think they were joking either.


10.
Finally, we were in the car. After a period of silence, J asked us: "did you know that Santa Claus is the greatest toymaker on Earth?"

This was on the 9th of January.

No comments:

Post a Comment