Wednesday 10 October 2018

Stuff My Kids Say, Part 16 - Toddler O Special Edition!

I thought it was time to give the youngest - soon to be middle - kid his big break and dedicate an entire blog entry to his escapades.

1.
It was around the same age that I started documenting his older brothers' trials and tribulations. I called their blog debut "Tantrums". Ahh precious memories...

Reading it again, I am surprised how much I have forgotten of the time. I thought O's tantrums were the worst, but they are actually fairly mild (so far). Part of this may be that he's not much of a talker yet, but he still has his moments.

One moment came this morning. He woke up at 5am, which is too early to really wake up, so I bought him into our bed. Instead of settling back to sleep like he usually does, he proceeded to use all of his limbs to try and push me out of bed. I stood up and he immediately settled. So I got back in, and he started pushing and kicking me again.

I couldn't work out what was wrong. Then he screamed, "mil, mil!"

He was kicking me out until he got milk.

I went to the fridge, because clearly the smallest person runs the house. But the jokes on him because I only got him water. Sucker.


2.
A few weeks ago, R stepped on a Mobilo connector, which is this stuff:
I had some sympathy, because I know from experience that it hurts to step on, but on the other hand he's 50% of the reason I step on it.

Anyway, O saw the tears and he saw the parental attention they attracted. And he decided he wanted some of that.

He picked up the exact same piece of Mobilo, and placed it back on the ground right under his own foot. Then he gently stepped on it.

"Owwwww", he grimaced as he lifted his foot up for me to see.


3.
My favourite part of the day with kids is the morning, because they've just had a full night of good sleep, and are therefore at their happiest.

(In terms of mood, it's literally all downhill from the moment they wake in the morning until they are back in bed at night. As a parent, you're just trying to manage the steepness of the descent.)

Breakfast is O's favourite time of the day too. When we aren't heading to childcare, he normally starts his day by chanting "brekfusst, brekfusst" as he walks purposefully into the kitchen to open the drawer containing the plastic bowls and spoons. He's not tall enough to get them, so I then grab one of each, and now satisfied that I'm starting the job, he heads over to his high chair. Often he'll use a normal chair as a stepladder to get in himself, other times he just stands and waits for me to lift him in.

I get him one-and-a-half weetbix, break them up in the milk and bring it over.

He can feed himself.

He usually doesn't.

Normally he points at the chair next to his and says, "sit down dada!"

Then after a few spoonfuls, he'll go "help please dada!", and I have to scoop the cereal onto his spoon before he lifts it into his mouth.

When he's finished eating, there are three possible further instructions, depending on his mood: out, more, or toast.


4.
"Hewwo!"

This is the typical greeting you get when O arrives at the top of something he shouldn't be climbing. Like the lounge, or the dining table, or into the back row of our new car.

A few nights ago we learnt that these climbs were mere practice for completing his own Mt. Midoriyama - getting to the twins top bunk.

We have stairs to the top, but the first one is quite high. But not if you drag across your musical activity table to be the first step.

When he got to the top, he didn't say 'hewwo!'. Instead he just screamed - an excited, manic scream of sheer delight. His joy didn't last, as I grabbed him before he fell down, but it was amazing to see. I don't know if I can ever make him as happy as climbing those steps did.

This weekend we are replacing the steps with a ladder. I don't think he can climb a ladder yet.


5.
"Buh bye!"

O's other favourite thing to say. I think my favourite use is when he's watching television. Once the show finishes and the credits are rolling, he starts waving and yelling "bye!" at ABC Kids.

(I should really update the ABC Kids Official Power Rankings...)


6.
As outlined in the Kids Dictionary, O calls his dummies "na-na", and this is distinct from nanna (grandmother) and 'nana (banana).

We don't know where this slang term came from.

Anyway, O used to be completely happy for any na-na to be offered to him. But this has recently changed. He has now decided he only likes certain dummies; an orange one with a small car pattern on the front, and green/blue ones with a turtle or dog. 
Two-thirds of the approved
dummy range.
Anything else is out - the blue and white ones with stars, red one with a ladybird, and so on. Despite being the exact same brand, size and shape, he would rather scream and cry than have these ones pass his lips.

This reaches the height of ridiculousness when he loses a dummy at night, and you replace it with a colour he doesn't like. O will often wake up in the morning and keep the dummy in his mouth for five or ten minutes, before realising he's sucking the wrong one.

Then he will pull it out with a look of disgust - like he's just sucked on a lemon - and place it on a nearby table.


7. 
We will end on a gross note: O has now eaten out of the bin twice (that we know of).

The first time wasn't too bad. I'd thrown the empty plastic from a loaf of bread into the bin, with the two thin crusts in there. He fished one crust out, and took a bite from it before I could stop him. But technically, that bread never touched the rest of the bins contents.

The second time was different.

O had already had for breakfast: the one-and-a-half weetbix, some "worms" (Uncle Toby's Plus cereal that he begged for from my bowl) and further scavenging from his brothers's crumpets and cereal. Now he wanted toast.

So I made him toast, and over the next half hour he took about three bites before completely losing interest.

I chucked it in the bin.

Ten minutes later, I see O is chewing and his hands are balled into tiny fists. I eventually manage to unclench those fists, and find a piece of toast inside each.

Here's a picture from the scene:

No comments:

Post a Comment