Monday 29 July 2019

Stuff My Kids Say, Part 20

This is a late release of the second quarter best quotes for 2019!!



1.
My just-turned-three-year-old O really likes food.

I recently asked him, "what did you do at school today?"

He said, "tomato!" And his t-shirt covered in juice and tiny seeds supported his statement.

Yet while he likes food, he doesn't report very accurately on it. Every childcare pickup I'll ask him what he had for lunch, and he always says "pasta bake". Then the conversation goes something like this:

With what?

"Meat and vegetable."

What vegetables?

"Ummh, pasta!"

2.
Meanwhile at 'Big School', I recently wrote about the public speaking competition with compulsory palm cards for kids who cannot read.

Afterwards, I was asking R and J about how it went. One of the questions I asked was, "what were the other kids speeches on?"

R seemed bewildered by the question. "They were on paper", he said.

3.
When baby L was crying, O had some helpful advice.

"He crying," he said, "put the bottle on the baby's face!"
4.
For R and J's birthday we decided to ask the kids attending their party to give them $5 as a contribution to a larger present. This seemed more sensible and economical than people purchasing a bunch of $15-20 crappy plastic toys they don't need.

It's the same principle where couples now get money for their honeymoon as wedding gifts, instead of half a dozen toasters.

I asked the kids what they wanted.

"I want a basketball hoop!", said R.

"Good. What about you, J?"

"I want a basketball."

Makes sense.

5.
For his birthday, O told his mum he wanted "cuddles and monster trucks". He got both.

Nearly one month later he is still walking around house singing "Happy Birthday" to himself.

6.
I've previously written about how the twins have commenced Saturday morning soccer.

The way it works is the team has 10 players, and they break into two simultaneous 5-a-side games. Initially R and J were kept on separate fields. This was bad for us trying to watch them both at once, but good for ensuring they didn't fight each other. Eventually though they requested to play together, and there were no fights, and they seemed to enjoy playing even more.

I asked them afterwards, "do you want to stay on the same team each week?"

"Yes," R said, "it's more fun to play together."

"I want to play together too", added J. "With R on my team, I can score more goals."

7. J recently almost bumped the back of his head on something.

"Watch your head!", I called out
He turned to me, confused. "I can’t," he said. "I don’t have eyes there."

8.
O will often pretend to be different animals.

This time he was a lion.

"Roarrrr!", he roared. Before helpfully adding, "I’m a lion!"

"What else do lions do besides roar?", I asked

"Lion chase zebra!", he said.

"Then what happens?

"They TACKLE!", he exclaimed.

Well, he does like watching the footy.
9.
I went to China for work recently.

After three days away, I talked to R and J on the phone. Well, I attempted to... J basically didn't say anything, while almost the only thing either R said was, "what are you getting me?"

The next day I called again.

"What are you getting me?", R asked again.

"I got some toy pandas!"

"What else are you getting me?", he said without hesitation.

10. It's not only R and J living a life of extreme privilege

After swimming lessons, mum and O occasionally go to a cafe for coffee and milkshakes. One week, O fell asleep in the car before they got to the cafe, so my wife drove home.

When O eventually woke up, she said, "do you want me to make you a milkshake?"

"No! Want to go to cafe!"

It could be worse. At the same age, J had a public meltdown, screaming "I want to go to the pub!"

No comments:

Post a Comment